Friday, October 7, 2011

Did someone say Shabu Shabu? (Swish, Swish...) My amazing Japanese Experience @ Eno_Oka bliss in the heart of Singapore.

I am an absolute fan of Japanese cuisine - I would say I consume it easily twice a week.
So when I had the opportunity to try one of Singapore's hidden gems and the apparent 'PLACE' for unforgettable Pork Shabu Shabu that would have me begging for more I couldn't turn the offer down.

Eno_Oka is the Japanese restaurant that my taste buds would be touring.  With a super central location @ 56 Cairnhill Road in a quaint converted shop house a stones throw from Orchard Road I was ready to experience Japanese food like never before.



My tour guide for the day was Kenny - the head chef and owner of Eno_Oka - having lived and worked in Japan for 11 years working in a Japanese restaurant for 5 and opening his own Japanese restaurant in Kuala Lumpur affirmed to me that I was in safe hands.

I felt pretty lucky to be honest... I have NEVER tried Sukiyaki before - Sukiyaki is a beef dish of Wagyu Beef and vegetables (long cabbage, leeks, tofu, enoki mushrooms, rice noodles and red carrots that are simmered in a hot pot with a sauce of Mirin, Sake, Sugar, Shoyu and Salt.


Here I am with Kenny getting a lesson on how to perfect the cooking process of the Wagyu Beef and vegetables - this was utterly DELICIOUS - once the meat is cooked you dip it into a raw egg that I whisked - yes I know this sounds like a bizarre combination: raw egg + cooked wagyu beef... but trust me, it was delicious.  Once the meat and vegetables are finishing you can add Udon noodles into the broth for a fantastic tasting noodle dish.

Check this out - it's all here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjcm5KCyNCo&feature=player_embedded

To accompany my meal I was spoilt with Tempura Prawns and Vegetable Tempura...

I also had a very fresh and tasty sashimi plate...

The sashimi was lush I was treated to a spread of Salmon, Tuna, Prawn, Fish Roe, Yellow Tail, Sword Fish and Squid!! Spoilt :)

And a Wafu salad - which was fresh cold tofu on a bed of lettuce and seaweed.



Last but not least I tried a Japanese speciality and the speciality dish I had been hearing all about from Eno_Oka... Drum roll please: Yes... it's the Pork Bone Shabu Shabu.

For those of you who are unfamiliar Shabu Shabu is Japanese hot pot.  Thinly sliced meat and vegetables are cooked in a hot pot by you at your table - ( I had Kenny guiding me all the way... AMEN!)

We tried the Pork Shabu Shabu - which is 3 different cuts of the pork: collar, loin and belly thinly sliced. These slices are then dipped into the hot pot which is simmering in the middle of the table in a soup of pork broth called Tonkotsu.  Now this Tonkotsu is pretty special.  It is made by simmering pork bones in hot water for 8 to 10 hours! All I can say is YUM!
The three cuts of Pork - the collar, loin and belly.
The Pork Bone Broth - Eaten as a soup is delicious.


The meat is cooked by 'swishing' it in the pork broth 'swish' 'swish' OR 'shabu' 'shabu'- similar in fashion to the way one would make strokes with a paint brush.  Once it is cooked it is then dipped into a sauce which you can choose and customise by adding coriander and a spiced radish (for those who like a bit of heat).   The three sauces that accompany this dish are absolutely delicious - there was a peanut and sesame sauce, a citrus vinegar sauce and sesame sauce. All I can say is that Pork Shabu Shabu dipped in these sauces... well... taste bud explosion!

I have to say the Shabu Shabu was one of the most delicious meals I have EVER had at a Japanese restaurant before.  I always chose safe and went for the sashimi, rolls or tempura dishes but I am not educated on how mouth watering Shabe Shabu and Sukiyaki is - I know that this is now on the top of my list of things to order.

The Sukiyaki is a great dish that can be paired well with a red wine and the Shabu Shabu with sake or beer all served at Eno_Oka


I had a memorable and delicious meal at Eno_Oka and will definitely be coming back to share a Shabu Shabu or Sukiyaki with friends.  The busier evenings from Friday across the weekend and for a relaxing meal Kenny suggested I pop in from Monday to Thursday - they are also open for lunch daily.

Today I took a little piece of Japan with me as I left Eno_Oka the food was fresh, beautifully prepared with simple pairings of flavours.  The Wagyu Beef utterly delicious and I have never experience Pork like that before.  This place gets my thumbs up and will be seeing me again.... rather soon I think.

Just so you remember to GO there... because yes it was fantastic Eno_Oka is located at:

No. 56 Cairnhill Rd Singapore 229667
+65 6887 5527

My tip - ask for Kenny he will look after you and definitely order the Pork Shabu Shabu and the tempura.

T.R xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home